1. I completely spaced the fact that the Calvary Chapel Senior Pastors Conference is happening this week. While I can tell you what will be happening to a degree, what won’t be happening is anything that even looks remotely like a reformation. Thus, there isn’t much of interest to me except from the historical view of watching a movement getting ready to end and morph into many other movements when the founder is gone. I’m sure there will be protestations of solidarity and continuity, but I already know of splits in the making.
2. I ended a discussion here last week on the topic of whether Mormons can be Christians. While I hate drawing lines theologically, lines have to be drawn when we are speaking about non Christian cults that appropriate the name of our Lord for their false gods. Your can name your cat Jesus, but he still won’t walk on water.
3. We need to be both zealous and jealous for the name of our Lord against the cults…but be every bit as zealous in preserving the unity of the Spirit with orthodox brethren. If your theological time is mainly taken with trashing Calvinists, Arminians, or whoever else doesn’t fit your little paradigm despite their orthodoxy, you are in sin. While you are sinning against the brethren, the cults advance and giggle…
4. Sometimes I have to laugh at myself…I never examine a passage I’m preaching on now without consulting N.T. Wright in the process.
5. Someone emailed me last week and asked where I thought I would land theologically…I hope I never do. The foundation is firm, but there’s a lot to explore.
6. Theological debate is a good and healthy practice among orthodox believers if done to learn and educate. If done to condemn, it is sin. Period.
7. God bless those men and women trying to be a Gospel light in the public schools. What a battleground the minds of our children has become.
8. I’d like to do an online study on Eph 4 and how it demands a certain amount of ecumenicism, but wonder if anyone would participate…
9. It’s so strange to have one of my favorite sports teams playing for a championship that I can hardly bear to watch it. I’ve followed the same teams since I was a child…and I’m past 50 now. Go Kings!
10. Our friend JJS has shocked the Reformed world by resigning the PCA. I will hear him out on this matter before I say a word.